Re: Child Liability Laws

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Child Liability Laws
From: "Steven T. Ekstrand" <cyberlaw@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:22:52 -0700
> Bottom line: If parents can no longer give permission for their kids to do
> anything that may be deemed hazardous (crossing the street! going
> swimming!), then the next generation of kids will be bored out of their
> skulls and be underachievers. IMHO, the court blew this one -- not as
> blatant as ruling the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional (which was a
> different court), but with a potentially more far-reaching effect.
>
> --Rocky

Amen Rocky!  And I don't really see an issue here that can be twisted into a
"federal case".  That means the Colorado Supreme Court is the highest court
that can hear this case.  Its done.  The Pledge of Allegiance case has two
appellate levels left (9th court en banc and US Supreme Ct).

It may not even be easy for the Colorado legislature to remedy this one.  It
might very well take a change in the Colorado State constitution.

The Olympic training center will have to be moved out of Colorado Springs if
we are going to start any athletes out before age 18.  Insanity....   Damn
lawyers.....

-Steve Ekstrand
[lawyer married to a lawyer....]