Re: Child Liability Laws

To: "William Loring" <bloring@TIRERACK.COM>,
Subject: Re: Child Liability Laws
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:08:02 -0500
We might be very glad now that SCCA is moving away from Colorado. Since our
"parent company" is presently domiciled there, waivers issued nationally
from that locus could be subject to attack.

But man! Extend that rationale to its logical conclusions and kids can do
nothing but watch cartoons on TV until they are 18. Just about EVERYthing
that comprises a physical activity involves waivers. Not just ski racing and
whitewater rafting and SCCA autocross, but Little League, Pop Warner, summer
camp, or even just ATTENDING an autocross that mom/dad are driving in.

I've always been of the impression anyway that waivers don't really mean you
can't sue despite the language (anyone with a filling fee can sue), rather
it means you are aware of the risks involved including the extreme
possibilities, like death. That's why the waiver kicks in the insurance
coverage rather than excluding from it (and so you get expenses covered, but
not things like pain & suffering because you accepted the possibility of
pain and suffering).

Bottom line: If parents can no longer give permission for their kids to do
anything that may be deemed hazardous (crossing the street! going
swimming!), then the next generation of kids will be bored out of their
skulls and be underachievers. IMHO, the court blew this one -- not as
blatant as ruling the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional (which was a
different court), but with a potentially more far-reaching effect.

--Rocky