Re: Child Liability Laws

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Child Liability Laws
From: William Loring <bloring@tirerack.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:11:43 -0500
> From: "Phil Ethier"<pethier@isd.net>
>
>> This was sent to my by ex-autocrosser
>
> Why the heck is he "ex-"?  Wondered why I had not heard from him lately.

He "retired" a couple of years ago. The fun had gone away for him, I
suppose. He's now getting pretty heavily into whitewater sports, hence the
original source for this information.

>> and curmudgeon
>
> Not that there's anything wrong with that!
>
>> Bill Ozinga:
>>
>> Subject: Child Liability Laws
>> Looks like trouble for kids at autocrosses in Colorado...
>
> The answer is clear.  You need to be 18 to autocross in Colorado, unless the
> organizers are seriously ignorant of their exposure.

To my mind, it could mean that you have to be 18 simply to ATTEND an
autocross. All minors on site must have their parents sign our liability
waiver. This could create a problem for those that bring their kids along...

> There is a police-driving-range in central Minnesota which is used by a couple
> autocross clubs.  You need to be 18 to enter the property, by order of the
> site
> owner.  This is absurd, but if you own the site, you make the rules.
>
> Since I was 18 when I saw my first autocross, this does not have a lot of
> affect
> on me personally...
>
> Phil Ethier

I was in my 20's when I attended my first autocross, but I went to lots of
road races as a kid. Spent lots of time in the infield at Blackhawk, Road
America, Mid Ohio and the like. It may not have been the case back then, but
wouldn't I have to sign a waiver for my kids to go to the
infield/paddock/pits of these tracks now?

Regards,

William Loring
SBR SCCA