Re: 10yr Stock Class Ruling

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 10yr Stock Class Ruling
From: Bob Pariza <bpariza@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 06:59:51 -0700 (PDT)
Here, here!  I couldn't agree more!  There isn't a classing system or set of
rules that everyone is gonna be happy with.  No matter what you do someone is
going to be upset with how it shakes out.  If there are competitors that feel
they just have to have 'The Car" to win their class, or "The Shocks", or "The
Something", why is that a problem?  I just don't get it.  Why do we have to
change the rules every few minutes to make sure that nobody feels left out,
rather than leaving them alone (like really happens) and enjoying the stability
that allows people to buy The Car and work with it for a while, or (like me)
compete in the car that they like and work with it (and the loose nut behind
the wheel) to get competitive.  One of the things that I've always liked about
autocross (since the '70s) is that THE DRIVER is the major portion of the
equation.  If someone wins it's because THAT PERSON DROVE BETTER.  It seems to
me that a lot of us want autocross to be CART.  Let's not do that, because then
the only people who will be interested are the teams with really big budgets
and those of us that are out there to have fun and try to learn something will
have to go somewhere else to play...
<end_of_speach>
Sorry, sometimes it just screams to get out...
(normally quiet) Bob
-------------------------

As someone recently said here... this seems to me to be a solution looking
for a problem.

A critical difference between roadracing and autox is that when you
roadrace you nearly always have a dedicated vehicle. The overwhelming
majority of stock class competitor vehicles are also in some form of
street driver status, even at the national level. This also meets the
stated goals of making autox a very low barrier of entry sport.

Leave it alone. None of these "solutions" (including the oem shock
proposal) make the situation any better. At best they exchange sets of
evils, and I'd rather stick with the evils I'm familier with.

Mark