Re: VW trans warranty

To: Sup4speed@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net (Team.Net)
Subject: Re: VW trans warranty
From: Erik Van-der-Mey <autox@webcentrix.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:04:00 -0600
At 12:18 AM -0500 11/29/01, Sup4speed@aol.com wrote:
>Hey All:
>
>Slightly off autox content, but our '98 Jetta 2.0 which we have the basic
>common springs, bars, wheels/tires, chip, intake , short shifter kit, just
>blew out 2nd gear at 32k, sounds terrible, 2nd won't engage.  Dealer says due
>to shift kit, the 100k drivetrain warranty won't cover.  Any tips, consumer
>groups to contact to perhaps help persuade dealer to cover repair ?  Internet
>search indicates this is a fairly common and quietly ignored weakness in the
>tranny by the company.  I'm thinking if defect is common, maybe NTSA, SEMA,
>VW at the corporate level.  Have no chance in court I suppose as the warranty
>of course says any mods, non-factory parts may void warranty.  Thanks for any
>help !
>
>Don Lew
>DSP Supra
>STS Jetta

Find another dealer (i.e. one who is OK with mods). I just had
warranty trans work done (replaced some internals -- bad bearing and
such) at 66k miles on a 98 GTI with racing coilovers, exhaust,
swaybars, strut tower braces, wheels, cross drilled rotors.
--
Erik Van-der-Mey                          erik@nolimitsperformance.com
No Limits Performance, Inc.             http://nolimitsperformance.com