Re: Tire choice at Nationals... What's the motivator?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire choice at Nationals... What's the motivator?
From: Gary Spray <gspray@kscable.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:37:15 -0600
At 08:49 AM 11/12/2001 -0600, Brad Cox wrote:
>I've been following a thread on a list serve discussing the Merits of the
>Toyo RA1 vs. the Khumo V700.  The discussion was somewhat divided on which
>was the better tire.  BTW, the discussion was in specific reference to
>autocross performance only.  So, I got curious and looked over the
>Nationals results, but didn't see any Toyos at all in any of the stock
>classes.  Someone on the thread asserted that this is only because Toyo
>doesn't offer contingency like Khumo and Hoosier.  They maintain that if
>Toyo offered a contingency and Khumo did not, then we would see a lot of
>Toyos and no Khumos because "the majority at Nationals bases their tire
>choice on the contingency programs offered".

The faster Nationals drivers use whatever tire they think they can win
with. Contingency money is just gravy. If they thought they could win using
Toyo they would be using them. The fact that no one uses Toyos in National
competition speaks volumes.

Apparently STS is the same. BFG and Kumho were paying contingency money but
the first three trophies went to guys on Bridgestones.

Gary Spray
Topeka, Kansas
White 1990 Mazda Miata
Kansas Region SCCA - Solo 2
#16 CS (or 19, or 61, or 91, or 1, or 6, or 9; only got two numbers, and
for 2002 I've gotta get an "E")