Tire choice at Nationals... What's the motivator?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tire choice at Nationals... What's the motivator?
From: "Brad Cox" <COXB@tmfhs.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:49:32 -0600
I've been following a thread on a list serve discussing the Merits of the Toyo
RA1 vs. the Khumo V700.  The discussion was somewhat divided on which was the
better tire.  BTW, the discussion was in specific reference to autocross
performance only.  So, I got curious and looked over the Nationals results, but
didn't see any Toyos at all in any of the stock classes.  Someone on the thread
asserted that this is only because Toyo doesn't offer contingency like Khumo
and Hoosier.  They maintain that if Toyo offered a contingency and Khumo did
not, then we would see a lot of Toyos and no Khumos because "the majority at
Nationals bases their tire choice on the contingency programs offered".

I'm a little confused here.  Not that I've had a chance to burn through many
race tires in my short autocross career, but I never thought of contingencies
when trying to make a good tire choice.  All I want is what I think will be the
best performing tire that I can afford.  Is this unusual?  How do you guys (and
gals) do your tire selection?  Is it mostly based on contingency??  What about
the "average" Nationals competitor?  Maybe I need to re-think how I select
tires...

-brad