SM2 FAQ (Spread this Around Please)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: SM2 FAQ (Spread this Around Please)
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:50:46 -0500
I'm a-starting to get pounded with SM2 questions, so me and my poor
overloaded mailbox kindly request that the following be spread around.

SM2 FAQ

Q1) Is SM2 a "National" or "Regional" class?

A1) For the 2002 season, SM2 is being offered at all National Tours and
ProSolos, as well as selected Divisional events. For Nationals, it will be
run as a "Supplimental" class (as SM was in 00 and 01) IF ATTENDANCE DURING
THE YEAR IS SUFFICIANTLY HIGH.

-----

Q2) Must all Regions offer SM2?

A2) No. Strictly speaking, NO class "must" be run by any given Region. Most
Regional Solo Directors are decent folks whose main concern is that any
class they offer have sufficiant attendance numbers. Contact your local RSD
to see if they plan on offering SM2 in 2002.

-----

Q3) What are the rules?

A3) The Official SM2 Rules will be published in the 2002 rulebook. Once I
have a copy of the language that was sent to the printer, I'll post them on
the Street Modified Home Page (http://streetmodified.org) There is a 2001
"draft" SM2 rulesset published there that is VERY close to the latest
"official" draft.

In a nutshell though, the rules for SM and SM2 are the same. The only
difference is in eligibility requirements.

SM2 is open to:
    a) 2-seater "sports cars" (and cars from the exclusion list) with a
lower SM2-specific minimum weight
       Examples: Corvette, Miata, CRX, MR2

    b) Notionally SM-legal cars (with the SM weights) but with
over-displacement engines
       Examples: Supercharged 5.0l Mustangs, 427 Hemi 'Cudas

    c) Notionally SM-legal cars, with legal size engines, but underweight
for SM (use the SM2 weights)
       Examples: Tom Berry's RX3 ;)

NOTE THAT SM2 RETAINS THE SM DISPLACEMENT LIMITS FOR CATEGORY a) and c)
CARS!

-----

Q4) How many changes are being made to the SM/SM2 rules for 2002?

A4) Not many. There are a few little tweaks being made here and there, to
address issues that turned up in the 2001 season (mostly clearing up
existing language, to make the rule say what it means), but 99% of the
rules are remaining unchanged.

The actual changes will be posted on streetmodified.org once they have been
finalized.

DG

The information contained in this transmission, which may be
confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients.
Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
transmission in error, please notify me immediately by telephone
or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission
and the reply from your electronic mail system.