RE: Tire choice at Nationals... What's the motivator?

To: "Brad Cox" <COXB@tmfhs.org>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tire choice at Nationals... What's the motivator?
From: "Randy Chase" <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:14:52 -0800
I used to only run the Toyos and did pretty good on them. Did very well in a
ProSolo a number of years ago and newbie that I was, was disappointed when
everyone else received their trophy at the awards presentation, I found out
they were winning BFG money or Hoosier tires. I switched then, figuring I
could win just was well on the BFGs but I got money for them.

The contingency money does come into play.

A couple of years later I switched back to Toyos. The reason was this. I
found it a challenge and kinda fun to see how well I could do on the "wrong"
tire. Plus I like how the Toyos feel on my car for my style. I did change my
mind later as I realized that the Toyo does not do well on very slippery
surfaces or when it was cold. I decided to get more serious and went to
Hoosiers.

I have won my share of Hoosiers now, but it no longer comes into play. The
price of competing nationally is signifigantly high, that the chance of
winning a couple or four tires is not a big factor. It's nice, but not the
reason. I ran Hoosiers to increase my chance of winning.

Now ironically, I have been running again on Toyos since September locally
(except yesterday because I am trying to use up old Hoosiers). I think I do
pretty well on the Toyos, even full tread. I have consistently been faster
than local CS times. Late yesterday, I started seriously contemplating going
to Nats and running Toyos. I think they would do pretty well. I would not be
able to win, but I bet I could trophy.

Anyway, contingency money is not an issue if you can't win on the tires. I
like the Toyos and I think I can be in the trophies with them, but winning
at Nats? I don't think so. But I can run the same tires all year on Toyos. I
have been thru 6 sets of Hoosiers this year, and I normally do not run the
Hoosiers locally.

Randy Chase