Re: Stock Class - DS/GS

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stock Class - DS/GS
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <pullg@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:52:39 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Smith <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>

> They're probably thinking, "Damn, that's a heavy car..."
>
> Celica/Neon ~2500-2600lbs
>
> Camaro V6 ~3400lbs
>
> Prelude ~2600-2800lbs?

>> '92+ Prelude ~2800-3000 lbs (the non-VTEC cars are the lighter ones)

> Does the '200 hp, 225 ft/lb. cars with 16x7.0 wheels that fit nice fat
> 245/50 series tires and limited slips' make more sense now?

I've never objected to running with the F-bodies -- the weight, rear axle
and chassis flexiblity sort of evened out the power deficit.  But Lloyd's
point about separating the VTEC and 4th gen non-VTEC Preludes is a good
one -- while non-VTEC cars lack 30-40 hp, the peak torque for both engines
is the same, and the torque curves aren't all that different.  No limited
slip or 4WD, and the ATTS on the later cars hasn't proven to be a benefit --
sometimes even the opposite.  So either the '93+ VTEC Preludes are Type R
and Scooby fodder in DS and should remain in GS, or the '92-'96 Preludes,
along with the contemporary Probes, MX-6s, and V6 F-bodies that are similar
in performance, should be moved up to DS.  There's no logic in the split.
Of course, there's also no logic in creating a half-dozen classes with about
a dozen cars apiece, then compressing the rest of the automotive world into
the remaining two classes (considering that F Stock is a world unto itself
:) ).

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing