Re: race car insurance

To: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>,
Subject: Re: race car insurance
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:21:43 -0500
At 03:07 PM 2/15/01 -0600, Linnhoff, Eric wrote:
>Okay you old farts out there, this question is for you.
>
>To those who have race-only cars (Solo2 Prepared & Modified, Club Racing
>cars, etc) and only race them on weekends (they are no longer street legal
>or driven) I ask the following; from whom do you purchase your race car
>insurance, what kind of coverage is it ("book" value or stated value), what
>are the stipulations of the policy and how much does it cost you per annum?
>
>Also, for those who drive mostly Stock, Street Prepared, SM, etc cars that
>ARE still street legal and may actually be driven on the streets, what do
>you do for insurance coverage?  I'm assuming that a lot of ST, SP and SM
>cars with all their modifications can easily exceed "book" value and
>therefore may run into problems if the car gets totaled somehow.   I'm
>talking about coverage for theft, fire, vandalism, etc, not running it into
>a light pole or rear ending someone.

Eric,

I recommend that for any "non standard car" such as a race only car or a
collector car that is worth insuring that you contact a specialty insurance
company.

I use Parish-Heacock

I have also obtained "stated value" insurance on street driven Lotus
Europas. However, Parish (now Parish-Heacock) was less expensive for the
property value portion of the insurance. I still needed to obtain
liability, etc. insurance through a "regular" company like State Farm.

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford