Re: Female participation help

To: bitterrootprop@nidlink.com, jonathan.rush@sdrc.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Female participation help
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:06:21 -0800
>Jon Rush wrote:
>
> > Michael Poorboy wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi list ,
> > > I am looking over the past participation of the female drivers
> > > in our club. The numbers seemed to be very low probably
> > > around 4% to 5% per event. I feel we should be around 10%
> > > to 15% and growing at this time.
> >
> > Can you explain why you feel this way?
> >

>I wasn't expecting this question :-)
>
>Here is why I feel this way. More women are now part of the everyday
>work landscape. They travel the freeways to work and back and in many cases
>do more then their share ferrying the children to practice school or other
>activities.

For about the last forty years or so, yeah.  So where do you come up with
10-15%?  If you're saying autocross should reflect general driving habits
(and why should it?), why not 50%?

>Autocrossing gives them away to learn how to handle their vehicles
>safely in a panic or defensive driving situation. Not only women learn from
>this but so do men.

>My thought are wouldn't you feel safer if your daughters, wife's, or
>other family members had a grasp on how to handle a vehicle safely
>under these conditions.

My thought is that your message manages to be evangelistic and condescending
at the same time.  Presumably the women who do autocross do it because they
find it rewarding on some level, just as do the men.  Instead of dragging
them to events for your own purposes, of which "they need to learn to drive
better" seems highly dubious, why don't you focus on simply making the
events as accessible as possible, and then accept that not everyone has the
same interests?

I'd start by getting rid of that "free admission if you bring a female"
concept, which is just about the most demeaning thing I've heard of since
the 70's.  Do you have wet t-shirt contests at tech inspection, too?

KeS