rust preventative coatings

To: "'autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: rust preventative coatings
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:22:59 -0600
Howdy all.  It's me again.  ;^)

Last week I was contemplating having some suspension pieces cadmium plated
to resist rust but found out that it'd be a major PITA for me since most
local shops are open the exact same hours I work and are clear across town
to boot.  I'd also have to "prep" the parts first and that's another PITA.

Anyway, using a coarse grit sanding sponge I sanded most of the rust off of
a sway bar that I'm going to reinstall and then remembered I had some Rust
Converter by Plasti-Kote out in the garage.  It's a milky off-white paint
that dries jet black.  This stuff works by "bonding with and chemically
changing the oxided metal into an inert compound.  It halts and prevents
further rusting.  The final surface will have a rock hard black epoxy type
of coating that can be sanded, primed and painted as any other surface."

There's a similar product out there called POR-15 (Paint Over Rust).

Does anybody have any ideas whether this is a bad idea from an engineering
or metalurgical standpoint?  I realize that any paint without sufficient
flexible additives in it may chip or flake off eventually since the sway bar
twists under usage but I can touch it up again any time.

I may just paint several other suspension pieces, like the A-arms, with this
stuff to prevent them from rusting to death.  And I think painted black
parts just plain look better than rusty parts.

As a bonus it cleans up with just soap and water and no messy or hazardous
solvents to deal with.

Any thoughts, besides "Damn, Linnhoff's posting again"?  ;^)

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 STS    #13 TLS
eric10mm@qni.com