Re: rust preventative coatings

To: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>,
Subject: Re: rust preventative coatings
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 18:29:45 -0600
>I had some Rust
>Converter by Plasti-Kote out in the garage.  It's a milky off-white paint
>that dries jet black.  This stuff works by "bonding with and chemically
>changing the oxided metal into an inert compound.  It halts and prevents
>further rusting.  The final surface will have a rock hard black epoxy type
>of coating that can be sanded, primed and painted as any other surface."
>
>There's a similar product out there called POR-15 (Paint Over Rust).

No, they are not similar.  POR-15 is a very good, and pretty darn toxic,
paint.  It is not a converter.

I've never have a bit of luck with converters.  POR-15, on the other hand,
has worked well for me.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.