Re: Need one last opinion before i buy, STS Tires (beating a

To: <Jester097@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Need one last opinion before i buy, STS Tires (beating a
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:30:12 -0600
I would go with the RE71's, but I have a special bias that probably doesn't
have much scientific base:  I do not like treadwear numbers over 220.

I run 225/50r16 RE71's now and absolutely love them, except for the fast
treadwear.  My old 245/45r16 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS tires (treadwear=300)
squealed really bad and didn't grip as much (I could lock them up whereas my
RE71's I don't as much, using same brakes).  I loved my Dunlop D40M2's and
got 27k out of them (treadwear 200 I think).  I got 14k out of my Goodyears,
partially because I think the hard compound just shredded off instead of
gripping.  I currently have 7k on my RE71's and they're about 60% gone and
that's only with 3 autox's.

When I had my Goodyears, it was really embarrassing sounding like a "car
with street tires" since they howled at every corner.  Maybe the RE730's
aren't as bad, but I think I remember reading on the Miata Forum that
someone said the RE730's squealed more than the RE71's.  That's something to
consider when racing in STS.

That's also why I have a bias against the Kumhos.  I usually associate high
treadwear numbers with tires that don't grip as well and squeal more.  It
would be nice to have a high grip tire that doesn't wear out and doesn't
squeal.

Another aesthetic thing:  The RE730's in 225/50r16 (my size) have a tread
width of 7.9" and the same size RE71's have a tread width of 8.6" (maybe
because its the N1 used as Porsche OE?).  I like being able to say I have
Porsche Tires on my car :)  Plus, they look really really wide- just as wide
as the 245's that were 8.9" at the tread width.  I sometimes wonder if
Bridgestone used a softer/grippier compound for the RE71's for Porsche than
for the other RE71 sizes, but kept the same tread rating.

For your sizes, the Bridgestones are 7.1/7.2 and the Yok is 6.7, so that's
probably negligible.  I have heard good things about Yok's, mainly they have
the best steering response and the stiffest sidewall.  I would consider
trying them on my car if they didn't look so skinny.  And, I hate to be
aesthetic, even when many narrow tires grip just as good as wide tires, but
hey.. I drive a Probe, and size does matter!

Brian

--
Brian Berryhill
http://www.angelfire.com/ms/brianberryhill/