Re: Need one last opinion before i buy, STS Tires (beating a

To: <Jester097@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Need one last opinion before i buy, STS Tires (beating a
From: William Loring <bloring@tirerack.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:26:07 -0800
Ryan,

The salesperson you spoke to at The Tire Rack was correct in stating that
the RE71 and Yokohama AVS Intermediates are older technology. These tires
have been around for a long time, and their performance is well proven. The
RE730 incorporates many of the newest Bridgestone design and manufacturing
technologies and materials, and so it does have somewhat more to offer than
these older tires.

However, saying that the RE730 will "walk all over" the RE71 is perhaps
oversimplifying things a bit. We have tested these tires on our test track,
with our BMW 328i test vehicles. It should be noted that while we did not
test the RE730 and RE71 back-to-back, the averaged lap times do indicate to
us that the RE730 is a slightly faster tire on our autocross-style test
facility.

The times generated on our test facility are the averages of our entire
sales staff. This tends to flatten out differences in driving styles and
abilities. What I'm trying to get at here is the standard: Your Mileage May
Vary.

You can check out our test results for yourself by going to the following
address:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/resultsbrand.htm

This will give you a listing of our tire testing sorted by brand. From there
you will find links to our tests of the Bridgestone RE730:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_re730_rd.html

And the link to the RE71/AVS Intermediate test:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/oldies_rd.htm

My personal opinion? That's a tough one... I certainly see the draw of the
less expensive RE71, but I have driven both tires, and the RE730 is a very
nice tire. Will it be faster on your car? That's the $100 question. I would
certainly listen to the opinions of others here on team.net, and take them
all in to account.

Regards,

William Loring

The Tire Rack, Marketing dept.