Re: SM 'Street Legal?' Now: cats

To: <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: SM 'Street Legal?' Now: cats
From: SVPViper@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:11:36 EST
Mark... what you aren't getting... is the cats are only the obvious offense in
your mind... You are missing the point of the class... as well as I would
challenge you to find a CARB certification for most of the Head & Cam packages
out there today!  Meaning... even though you have cat's your car is still not
in 'Federal' Compliance... The spirit of the class is over your head (IMHO)...
The class is a fun class for those guys that have built (get this) street
cars... that don't necessarily fall into the niches of SP, or SS, P.... And
sorta brings them together... almost the mods of Prepared, but the
Streetability of Street Prepared (interior etc...)... You might as well be
arguing why can 'Stock' Cars run different Mufflers, and Shocks... after all,
they aren't 'STOCK' :D
   Unfortunately I won't be in SM this year... But for the rest... have fun...
and build those monsters!
        Dave Schotz,
   http://www.sccaforums.com

In a message dated Fri, 19 Jan 2001  1:48:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Mark J.
Andy" <marka@telerama.com> writes:

<< Howdy,

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 SVPViper@aol.com wrote:

> I'm sorry... Mark, and Eric... you guys need to climb out from under
> that CAVE!! How many ESP cars have Cats?  Is SCCA responsible for
> telling these 'Federal Offenders #1' That they need to trailer there
> cars in???
>
> Come on guys... get off it.. STS, and STR... are for you emission
> friendly whiners...  Street Mod, is for those guys who drive these
> 'Illegal Monsters' on the street...Yet don't sacrifice anything!
>
> Anyways... I guess it is to each his/her own... but a Class that
> allows Cam, Heads... etc... You guys are way off base... Cam & Heads
> aren't emmissions legal either!  The Cat is a small piece of the
> equation.... when you greenpeace guys are done... Stock class won't be
> allowed to change Mufflers! :D

Then don't require street registration.  You'll note that stock & sp
classes don't.  In those cases, if you register & drive your illegal car
on the street, its completely your decision.

In the SM case, you're explicitly requiring a street registration, which
(by federal law) requires a cat.  However, you're allowing folks to run
without cats, implicitly encouraging them to break the law.

You can't have it both ways.  Either the car doesn't need to be registered
or it does.  If you're requiring registration, you should require a cat.
Hell, I believe you're requiring "standard street equipment" like heaters
and interiors right?

Mark