Re: STS Tire Rules

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tire Rules
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:46:35 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Jay Mitchell wrote:
> You seem to believe that this is something new. It's not, it's
> been going on in all forms of motorsports competition for
> generations. It's not necessarily a pleasant thing to
> contemplate, but I have yet to hear a proposal that stands a
> chance of preventing it. One man's "street tire" is another man's
> gumball. STS will become more competitive, and finding the
> stickiest "true street tire" will become a commonplace exercise,
> as will shaving tires, maintaining a second set of wheels for
> your "true street" autocross tires, etc. Doesn't sound much
> different from today's Stock to me.

Its not, except that you can modify the car more and there's an exclusion
list (either specific or via the "140 treadwear") for tires.

I agree with what someone else wrote.  If this is already happening in the
DOT tire classes now, why is it such a problem in STS?  Are you telling me
that maintaining a tire exclusion list yearly (along with existing
stock-like rules about when a tire model has to be made available) is too
much work?

Hell, a freaking DOT stamp is manufacturer enforced as well I believe.
What are we gonna do when Hoosier gets bored and stamps their slicks with
"DOT"?

To keep STS as a "non-class" is silly.  If the problem is rules vs.
guidelines, then write the rules.  Obviously the demand is there.  Red
herrings about tire rule un-enforcability is just that.  It works exactly
like it does now in stock, except there's an exclusion list and no
sizing requirements.

Mark