Re: STU Proposal Update - Displacement limits feedback required

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: STU Proposal Update - Displacement limits feedback required
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:19:19 EDT
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:25:49 -0400
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com

<< 2) Displacement limits >>

For item 2, we have two good solutions. Either one is completely workable, the
difference is which cars get included/excluded depending on which one we
adopt.

Proposal A is:

Rotary : 1.500 litres
OHC    : 3.000 litres
Pushrod: 4.000 litres
No allowence for induction type

Proposal B is:

Rotary:                   : 1.400 litres
Forced induction          : 2.200 litres
OHC normally aspirated    : 3.200 litres
Pushrod normally aspirated: 4.000 litres

My personal inclination is to do "B", but bump the turbo limit to 2.4 to allow
the Suburu (I think it's 2.4 - I'll check tonight)

Let's put it to a vote - lemme know what y'all think is better. >>

The turbo displacement limit of B is to low for alot of cars out there. I.E.
The Nissan 240SX, the Subarus they are up to 2.5, QUAD 4's they are 2.3 or
2.4, and of course, my Celica at 2.4, not that I am biased by this ;-)
Bumping that one to 2.4 would include these, but still knocks out the Grand
Prix, but I know that is a tough one with a big motor and a blower. It is
going to be very tough to get all to agree.

As written here I would have to opt for "A"

No matter how you try to slice it though, I think there will have to be a
weight break in there. If we allow the Grand Prix by a big limit, and allow
same family engine swaps, how about a Sunbird with the 3.8 blower motor? I
know I could put that together. May be a tad nose heavy, but the newer series
2 3800 is probably very close in weight to the older 3.1 iron head motor that
came in the Cavalier Z24 a while back.

And why do all OHC motors get the same treatment? I have 1 cam operating just
2 valves per cylinder. What makes this so much better then a pushrod motor?
And is it anywhere near the potential of a 16 valver, single or twin cam?
Toyota built a few twin cam 8 valve motors that way out perform the single
cam version due to proper chamber shape and better ports. Under either of
your proposed rules I would start looking to change my motor for a Toyota
3SGTE out of a late model MR2, with a few tweaks it will make well over 300
hp and it is far lighter then my current 22R, and it was a Celica motor in
the All Trac so it should fit the engine swap rules??

I am only adding info to work from, not trying to cause trouble or make it my
"I" class. Please take this as intended and keep up the good work.

Gary M.