Re: STU Proposal Update - Displacement limits feedback required

To: Dave Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Subject: Re: STU Proposal Update - Displacement limits feedback required
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:30:31 -0400

> I must be missing something, but I don't see how this excludes the M3,
> at least not the 3L version.  What is the exact displacement of the 3.2L?

I have been told that there is a (large?) population of supercharged M3s that
would like to play in this class. Proposal A allows them, Proposal B excludes
them.

Is that a good thing? *shrug* I can see both sides. Including more cars is good,
but keeping the smaller-displacement cars competitive is good too.

Thus, the call for feedback and votes.

> Also, how many turbocharged Subarus are over 2.2L?  None from the
> factory that I know of, at least in North America.

There's a Suburu based on the WRC chassis - I don't remember the model
designation - that Sport Compact Car is building up in their latest couple of
issues. If memory serves, the North American version is a 2.4, and the WRC is a
2.0 or a 2.2. I think the NA version is turbocharged from the factory, but
apparently the turbocharger + plumbing from the WRC-copy (not the actual WRC
car) are available from Suburu fairly cheaply, and bolt right on to the 2.4.

My details are a little fuzzy, but the gist of it was that one could build a
turbocharged WRX replica using the slightly larger stock North American engine
for a reasonable amount of money - "reasonable" in this case meaning "not too
much" - using parts available at the Suburu parts counter.

I remember seeing one of these cars in GS at the Ft. Myers Pro, so they're out
there.

The resulting car is pretty nifty, comparable to a Talon, with perhaps a little
more torque. A good fit for the class, both marketing-wise and performance-wise.

DG