RE: Revised STU Proposed Rules - Plan of attack

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: RE: Revised STU Proposed Rules - Plan of attack
From: Karl Witt <kwitt@shore.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:23:24 -0400
On or about 12:03 PM 7/14/1999 , dg50@daimlerchrysler.com did say:
>While we're on displacement limits, Karl's comment about service overbores on
>3.1l motors is well taken - except how many of these motors are really 3.1l?
>For
>instance, the 2.0l Mitsu motor is really something like 1.980l.
>
>There has to be a hard "go nae furtherrr" displacement limit.
>
>Karl, what's the actual displacement of the 3.1 motor + service overbore
you're
>thinking of? Can we get away with 3.150, or 3.125, or what?

Dennis,

My quick attempt at some online research couldn't turn up the bore and
stroke and true displacement of any of the motors listed as 3.1l currently.
 I'm sure it's out there, i just don't have the time to research it deeper.
Rather then a hard limit above 3.1l, maybe a the 3.1l hard limit with an
addition worded something to the effect of: a standard service overbore per
the manufacturers specifications that brings total displacement above 3.100
liters is allowed, provided that the stroke of the motor remains unchanged
from original specs.

The addition of the bit about stroke remaining unchanged just being there
to keep people from trying to take say a 2.5 liter motor, stroke it to 3.1
then do the overbore for the extra over 3.1l. This might solve the problem
and make is so that the hard limit doesn't need to be reconsidered every
time a manufacturer comes out with a new configuration for a 3.1l motor.

karl