RE:Shifter kart questions

To: Autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Shifter kart questions
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 23:43:44 EDT
Buddy,

I can't tell you anything about specific region's setups for karts.
You'll just have to check with them.  In my opinion, there are
very few valid reasons for their exclusion from an event or site.
Just do your homework, and notify the chairpersons VERY
EARLY of your desire to run.  Read and understand the rules
beginning on page 241 of the '99 SCCA Solo Rule Book.

There is no reason why you would not be allowed to run an engine
smaller than 125cc.  According to rule H.3.A, the eligibility is limited
to karts legal for competition in events sanctioned by a kart racing
organization, with a maximum displacement of 125cc.  The smallest
shifter I have seen is 80cc.  The 100cc karts I have seen and read
about are all clutch types without gearboxes, but even those may
be eligible?

I might suggest investigating the kart you have in mind thoroughly as to
whether it meets the criteria in appendix H of the Solo book, BEFORE
you buy it.  There can't be a good deal on a kart which is not legal to
race or solo without a large infusion of $, or a different engine....

The "arrive and drive program"?  Works for me (for now).  I rented one of
Quicksilver Racing's CRG/Kawasaki karts from Pat Polk for Evansville.
Had an absolute BLAST.  Pat is supporting only the National Tour events
this year, and as of Evansville, he plans to be in Topeka for the Nationals.

Evansville was my only kart drive this year so far.  Took me a few events
last year just to get used to being so busy all the time while in competition.
I think <G> I made 17 gearchanges during my best run on the 4th.  That's
in 36.5 seconds.  And I ran maybe 1/4 of the course in 6th.....

Alan Sheidler
(still learning)