Re: Timing truck to replace trailer

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing truck to replace trailer
From: "Robert Glover" <rob@f-body.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:23:45 -0700
> SF Region is considering replacing the timing trailer with a truck,
probably
> cube van.  If it was up to you, what things would be important?
>
> Charlie Davis

Size.  Whatever replaces the timing trailer should be at least as big as the
trailer we have now.  It already gets a little cramped in there at times,
what with four people trying to work in there.

Whether the trailer is kept, or a truck purchased, has anybody considered
mounting the PA system and timing equipment, and perhaps installing jacks
for the mics, for power, etc on the outside of the trailer/truck, maybe
behind a lockable panel?  Anything to speed up setup and tear-down.  Maybe
even mount some PA speakers on the roof pointed in different directions.

If it were up to me, I'd get (a) a larger trailer than we have now, even
larger than Sacramento Region's, or (b) a truck or panel van the size of a
U-Haul or Ryder 24' moving van.  Then install shelving, drawers, hangars, or
whatever could be done to better organize things and help events run faster
and more smoothly.  If either had basement storage (lower compartments
accessible from the outside), gypsum bags, jacks, and other heavy items
(even cones if the compartments are large enough) could be put there rather
than have to be stacked inside, where they must always be removed for access
to anything else.

The downside to having a truck instead of a trailer, regardless of size, is
mechanical maintenance.  Who will take the responsibilty (and will the
region be willing to spend the money) to keep the thing running and in safe
condition?  It seems like a better idea to just have a trailer that gets
yearly wheel bearing jobs and the occaisonal electric brake service, rather
than a truck that will possibly have major engine and transmission problems,
and fluid leaks of its own.

If finding somebody to shuttle a trailer around is getting to be a problem,
I can probably help at least sometimes.  My truck will tow just about
anything.

Rob