Re: WTB: Prelude ATTS

To: <Gemery@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: WTB: Prelude ATTS
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 17:00:14 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Gemery@aol.com <Gemery@aol.com>
To: autox@autox.team.net <autox@autox.team.net>
Cc: jamies@mrj.com <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Thursday, July 01, 1999 2:11 PM

>Jamie Sculerati writes:
>> Nope -- it's not a Torsen.  It's sort of a pre-emptive differential --
power
>>  distribution in the transaxle is governed by steering angle and wheel
>speed.
>
>Yuck!  Why?
>
>I suppose, then, that they use viscuous differential?  Or how else would
they
>control the torque distribution with those inputs?  On the surface, it
still
>sounds
>like a Torsen, only not nearly as effective.

The system uses a series of hydraulically-actuated clutches to engage a
planetary gearset.  It's a means of increasing steering response without
increasing the slip angle of the front tires -- which, for a front-driver,
reduces the rather abrupt transition to understeer (or to oversteer when you
start to plow and lift of the throttle).  It's not a bad idea for
steady-state cornering -- after all, the general driving population doesn't
run slaloms!  I think it will probably go the way of the 4-wheel steering
systems offered for the 3d and 4th generation cars, though -- it doesn't
make enough apparent difference to most drivers to justify the extra
expense.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing