Re: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: autox@autox.team.net, dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: Re: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: Pat MacAvoy <patmac@tridelta.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:25:57 -0500 (EST)

DG writes:

> A set of entirely reasonable rules for turbo cars in SP might be:
>
> 1) Thou shalt not modify the actual turbocharger unit, consisting of the
> compressor housing, the bearing unit, the turbine housing, the turbine wheel,
> the compressor wheel, the wastegate, wastegate actuators (rods, cams, or other
> linkages), the wastegate spring, or the wastegate diaphram (when so equipped)
> except to replace damaged or broken parts with identical replacements.
>
> (DG's note: This is the case today)

<<SNIP>>

> 3) Any device, mechanical or electronic,  that aims to control boost levels by
> either controlling the wastegate control signal (on electronic wastegates) or
>by
> increasing/reducing the amount of pressure/vacuum seen by the wastegate
>control
> diaphram (on mechanical wastegates) is allowed, as long as no modification to
> the turbocharger unit as defined above is required to fit the device.

So, I can't change my wastegate spring, but I have to make something to
  decrease the pressure seen by the wastegate?  Anybody have a wastegate
  proportioning valve??????

If you were to do this, why wouldn't you just allow spring changes from
  spring-controlled wastegates?  If I can disconnect the hose that controls
  wastegate action, why can't I use a spring???

What am I missing??

pat(no dog in this fight, my 931 is just a memory)mac
Pat MacAvoy
a.k.a. konekiller@tridelta.com
84 CS RX7 GSL-SE (for sale, see http://www.suite224.net/~patmac)
88 CS 924S-SE (CS gun)