Re: SP rules on catalytic converters

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:25:19 -0600
>Here's a question I have for the SEB and anyone else who cares to comment:
>where's the evidence of a problem with turbo cars? Who can produce hard,
>statistical numbers that show that turbo cars are dominating Street
Prepared?

>In order to fix a problem, one must first show that there is a problem to
fix.

Every time I ask this question, I get the same answer....it all points to
ONE
particular ESP Supra that supposedly is putting down close to 400HP.  I
have to ask how far this is off of the HP put out by the pony cars in ESP.
Considering that the Supra and F body cars are about equal in HP in stock
form, and the Supra is a porker of a car from the factory, I have to wonder
about the true disparity when both cars are taken TO THE FULL EXTENT OF
THE RULES.

It seems that we have a single vehicle making people think twice about a
whole
breed.  The actions taken to limit this one car are affecting a LOT of other
cars
that are either non-competitive or marginally so as it is.  Granted, most of
the
other ones aren't built to the full extent, and we can't really judge until
they are.
That being the case, instead of trying to fix a problem that really doesn't
exist,
why not just boot the offending car to a higher class (BSP?  Corvettes weigh
about the same as a Supra and have about the same power....ASP? The Supra
will have more power than some of the others, but it has a weight penalty
also).
Fuel Cut (yes, that's going to be a sore point with me for all time) and
exhaust
are NOT making fire breathing class overdogs out of EVERY turbo car.  Let's
reclass the ones that are, and get on with it.

Sorry if pointing out one particular car seems in poor taste, but in every
instance
that I have mentioned Fuel Cut or Toyota ECU boost limiters or the whole
turbo
thing...I get the same reply - 'do you think that XXXXX's Supra is legal?'
'XXXX's
Supra is built to the extent and is taking the class'  etc etc.  All roads
lead to one
item, that item is usually what you need to dwell on.

David Hawkins
93 Mr2 Turbo ASP retired
85 Mr2 ITA/CSP
TLS #15