Re: SP rules on catalytic converters

Subject: Re: SP rules on catalytic converters
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:34:34 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Jay Mitchell wrote:
> Let me get this straight: you claim that your cars are in full
> compliance with EPA standards for Nox, Co, and HC emissions
> without the catalytic convertor? I'm very skeptical.
>
> If this were true, why is it are all the car manufacturers are
> screwing up so badly and installing these things on all the cars
> they make?

>From my, mostly secondhand, knowledge base, I seem to recall that a well
tuned car, by definition, doesn't pollute much.  Thisis because pollutants
come from unfinished combustion.  Obviously the better tuned a car is, the
more combustion finishes so that the energy can be gotten from the fuel
and translated to tire burning, not stuffed down the exhaust.

I'd be willing to bet that most manus put cats on because they're epa
required and that the epa required 'em because most people only change
their spark plugs when the car stops running, etc.

Mark