Thanks to an Alert Corner Worker...

To: autox@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Thanks to an Alert Corner Worker...
From: Paul.Osnes@essc.org (Paul Osnes)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:47:00 -0500
     I don't know who he was, or if he's on the list, but I'd like to
     express my heartfelt thanks to the corner worker nearest the start
     line at last Saturday's practice in San Diego.  The story is simple
     enough.

     My green Miata was a car behind an older gentleman who was driving a
     copper colored VW Bug.  The starter gave him a good lead, then let the
     car ahead of me go, and then it was my turn.  The course started with
     a short straight which lead to a 180 degree right hand turn.  I'd
     accelerated and was looking to the right for my brake point when out
     of the left corner of my eye I spotted a corner worker waving the red
     flag and running at me.  I got off the throttle and had just enough
     time to think "what the #*#*#*!" when I saw the VW.

     He had gotten lost on the course and appeared to be heading back to
     the grid.  To get there he was cutting right across the end of the
     straight, in front of me to my left.  As I told some people the next
     day it wasn't really as close as it looked, but that was solely thanks
     to that alert corner worker.  The extra second he bought me might very
     well have made the difference between a ruined lap and a ruined car.

     So, if you're on the net; whoever you are, thanks!  If someone knows
     who it was and he's not on the net, then please pass this message on.

     Paul Osnes
     496 BS