Re: Annual Tow Vehicle Question

To: Gary Spray <gspray@cjnetworks.com>
Subject: Re: Annual Tow Vehicle Question
From: Bret Dodson <bret@serv.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:08:00 -0800 (PST)
 Alan Dahl wrote:
> >Geeze, all these people who complain that they can't get everything they
> >need for a week in Kansas in a Grand Cherokee! I got everything I needed
> >including my race wheels and tires, 2 suitcases, an air compressor, a wash
> >bucket, tools and who knows how much other stuff, in a *Miata* for crying
> >out loud!

 Gary Spray added:
> Gosh, I guess not... You wouldn't have a picture would you? I spent a
> Saturday afternoon last summer trying to figure out how to get more than
> three of my race tires in/on my Miata.<G>

Sure, I can fit 4 tires, 225's even, in/on my Miata and still have room
leftover for the neccesities of racing life.  But, why rough it?  I simply
tow a trailer and have room left in the car for a passenger.  Trailering
with a Miata is almost as much fun as driving the Miata sans trailer.  And
with the trailer I can bring both sets of wheels, my big toolbox and nicer
floor jack, the easy-up, camping gear, my mountain bike, lots 'o edible
goodies and enjoy the company of a passenger in topless merriment.

Alan's secret for stuffing his Miata to a fullness akin to a Mini Cooper
vomiting circus clowns is simple.  He's a complete and utter masochist!:-)
I co-drove with him last year at the SF region divisional.  Part of the
deal was that I transport the car to the race and back.  Hmm... chance to
drive a new style Miata down to California and back?  Can I say 'yes' fast
enough?  The top had to be up because the shelf behind the seats was
needed to carry important stuff.  Hmm... Okay, I'd rather drive topless,
but it's a Miata, it'll be fun anyway.  The drive was fun, until I made it
to the hot part of sunny California.  By the time I reached the race site,
I had lost several pounds from perspiration and could barely remember my
name due to heat induced dementia.

The out of town events I went to in my Miata, complete with nifty keen
trailer, were much more comfortable.  And I was able to bring along my
ceramic Ming Dynasty-style pit marker cones and Sony Playstation for Motel
room Gran Turismo.

If I were a Rice Boy (Okay I am a Rice Boy, but I'm not out of the closet
yet) I'd go cruising in my striped Miata with the trailer looking for
races.  You would not believe how much fun it is passing folks on the
curvy parts uphill in a Miata towing a trailer almost as long as the car
pulling it - this is a good exercise in speed maintenance and smoothness
as well as trailer packing.

Bret "can't wait to install the supercharger and 5th wheel hitch" Dodson
'96 Miata R - B Stock Pax
Seattle, WA