Re: Timing & Announcing Problem at NEDiv Championship Event

To: garryj@localnet.com
Subject: Re: Timing & Announcing Problem at NEDiv Championship Event
From: Mark Sirota <mark@sirota.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:22:03 -0400
--On Friday, August 23, 2002 10:02 AM -0400 garryj@localnet.com wrote:
> Can our SEB member take a stab at introducing it to the SEB for
> consideration?

I could, but frankly, I'm not persuaded that it's a good idea.

First of all, any indication (or lack thereof) by this new worker would
be unofficial.

Second, it is often the case, particularly on large pylon-happy courses,
that it can take several minutes before a call comes in -- two other cars
may have finished in the meantime.

It's simply not possible to get the penalties accurately reported before
the next car finishes.

The only possibility that I can think of is to have a much larger display
board, perhaps with three or four rows, displaying the times of the last
three or four cars to cross the finish line.  Because the display would
persist for much longer, there's that much more chance to display
penalties -- but again, they'd be unofficial until the audit.  And this
would be far more expensive, as it would involve both hardware and
software changes, not just an additional worker and radio.

Mark