Re: Timing & Announcing Problem at NEDiv Championship Event

To: mark@sirota.org
Subject: Re: Timing & Announcing Problem at NEDiv Championship Event
From: <garryj@localnet.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:02:52 -0400 (EDT)
> But we should all learn from this -- after each run, go check the
> master time log for your time and the corner sheets for your penalties.

Unfortunately, this is something that I have had to learn the hard way, and
then learn again, the hard way.  Between making sure the car is ready for
the next run, checking pressures, changing numbers, making any necessary
adjustments, getting seated and belted, etc, etc, I often don't make my way
over to the boards.  And I must!  Because I've paid big time for it over the
years.

Still, it *would* be nice if a system was in place to signal the driver at
the end of the run.  If there was enough manpower, someone listing to
the chatter between the course workers and Timing could be stationed at the
display, and hold up a flag or sign to indicate DNF, Re-Run, and Pylon
Penalty.  The case for this position is made that much more legitimate when
you factor in the re-run notification.  Especially in a noisy modified heat
it is often very difficult to notify someone that they get a re-run.

Of course, it is possible that by the time the display worker hears the call
on the radio, the driver might have already driven past that station.
Still, this position is an intriguing idea.

Can our SEB member take a stab at introducing it to the SEB for
consideration?

Jim Garry