Planned obsolescence (was Re: Spark plug gap)

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Subject: Planned obsolescence (was Re: Spark plug gap)
From: "J Arzt" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 10:11:31 CDT
   My bet is on the idea that we'll buy more of them. After all, that's
exactly why the American car industry used to change sheet metal on a yearly
basis. It's hard to talk someone into buying this year's model when it looks
almost like last year's. I even read a Rootes Group bulletin somewhere,
stating that the British car industry should emulate the Americans in order
to stimulate sales. Their analogy was that too many British families
welcomed a new car into the family as they would a new child, instead of as
a consumable to be used and discarded!

   It used to be if you bought a car, you could count on it lasting a good 5
to 7 years under average use. More if you took good care of it (as evidenced
by our cars). Now, they've convinced the public they should lease a car for
3 years, then turn it in for a new one. That way, the car manufacturers are
always making money - you NEVER stop paying them.

   Of course, with a modern car, you couldn't AFFORD to keep it as long as
our treasured cars. The cost of all those gadgets and ECUs make it far too
expensive once it's more than 10 years old.

Sorry to rant - pet peeve, I suppose!

Jon Arzt