Re: Aussies watch out!

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aussies watch out!
From: "BMT \(John Goodby\)" <jgoodby@tpg.com.au>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 14:46:46 +0800
Yes, we now have LRP or Lead Replacement Petrol as well. My Range Rover
doesn't like it at all, with idling and up-hill performance badly affected.
My neighbours V12 jaguar is the same. However, my daughters Mazda 323 is
fine on LRP.

The "cure" by the oil companies is to sell you Premium Unleaded which is
about 6 to 8 cents a litre more expensive.

My Range Rover runs on LPG gas, so I use unleaded for the rare times I use
petrol. As part of the gas system, I have an automatic feed of upper
cylinder lubricant which stops valve recession.  If you don't do much
distance, maybe this might be OK if you add it to the fuel directly in the
petrol tank.

The Alpine (SV) will get a conversion to unleaded when the time comes to put
it back together, although I suppose its an interesting question. Since its
an aluminium head, it already has hard valve seats - is this enough to stop
valve recession and use unleaded anyway??????

John
Perth Western Australia