Re: San Diego British Car Day

To: Christopher Albers <Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu>
Subject: Re: San Diego British Car Day
From: jeyerman@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 12:47:24 -0400
Chris,

How many "true" Sunbeams (Rapiers, 90's, etc)? How many Hillmans?? How many
Singers??  Any Humbers? As for voting, there always seems to be biases and some
horse trading.  At one of the shows I go to every year, my Hillman got no
awards in the "Other British" class, but a very ratty Austin America got 3rd
AND the "Diamond in the Rough" award!!!  Why???, all of the MG, Austin Healey
people voted for it.  Interestingly, at other shows when I walk around to vote
and the MG/Austin Healey/Triumph etc owners find out that I have the Hillman,
they make subtle suggestions of vote swapping.  Consider that the Minx also
pulled a third place medal at a Jaguar meet (in the "other" category of
course)-I think the Jag owners enjoyed a little bit of revenge on the MG's,
Austin Healey's etc.  Sooooo, I wouldn't take the voting very seriously.

For example, I will only vote for a sports car that has the top down (that was
the way they were meant to be driven) and I will always vote for wire wheels
over disks, etc.  Just my own personal stupid prejudices and I am sure very
other voter has their own.  So voting doesn't necessarily meant the "best" car,
often the most interesting or rare gets the vote.

Write the voting off to stupidity and go and enjoy the show.  Even though I am
on the East Coast, the San Diego show is one I want to go to.  Finally, my
daughter suggested to me when I was complaining of losing to the ratty Austin
America- "Dad, next year bring a case of Guiness and offer a bottle to every
one who votes for the Hillman, if you bring enough beer you might win best in
show!"

Jan Eyerman, owner of a Hillman Minx that doesn't win many awards, but who
loves to look at LBC's.

Christopher Albers <Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu> wrote:
> Went to SDBCD yesterday and it was a fine event.  Hundred's ofexcellent
>British cars were on hand of nearly every make.  There was an
good turn out of Sunbeam's, with 16 total cars, 2 "proper" Alpines (the
'53 was gorgeous), and the balance being filled by Alpines & Tigers
(sorry, didn't count them).  Remarkably, there was only one "pointy
fin" Alpine there, but it took home the "Best of Marque" trophy.

Now, I must throw in my own, somewhat biased, opinion at this time.  I
was amazed to see Smitty carrying around the "Best of Marque" ballot
box telling everybody which car to vote for.  This bothered me for a
number of reasons, the first being quite selfish, as I was certain that
my car was far cleaner and certainly more complete (there were parts
missing from the dash & boot!) than the car that won.  And certainly
there were other cars that were nicer.  Second, I think people should
make their own decisions about which car should win and that no one
should be pushing a "party line," as it was put (who's line?  SDAOG's?
of which I am not a member).  It's just not fair to people who put tons
of work, not to mention $, into their cars to show only to have the
voting fixed.  Frankly, I was disgusted at what I observed.  Such to
the point that I will probably never attend that event again with my
car.  The members of SDAOG should be embarrassed.

I can only speculate why this happened.  Apparently it's done nearly
every year.  I can only wonder.  Though it was pointed out to me that
Smitty did do a significant amount of work on the car that won.  But it
leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I am sorry, I just had to vent my
spleen.  Let me apologize in advance if I offend anyone.

CNA