San Diego British Car Day

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: San Diego British Car Day
From: Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu (Christopher Albers)
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:21:32 -0700
Went to SDBCD yesterday and it was a fine event.  Hundred's of
excellent British cars were on hand of nearly every make.  There was an
good turn out of Sunbeam's, with 16 total cars, 2 "proper" Alpines (the
'53 was gorgeous), and the balance being filled by Alpines & Tigers
(sorry, didn't count them).  Remarkably, there was only one "pointy
fin" Alpine there, but it took home the "Best of Marque" trophy.

Now, I must throw in my own, somewhat biased, opinion at this time.  I
was amazed to see Smitty carrying around the "Best of Marque" ballot
box telling everybody which car to vote for.  This bothered me for a
number of reasons, the first being quite selfish, as I was certain that
my car was far cleaner and certainly more complete (there were parts
missing from the dash & boot!) than the car that won.  And certainly
there were other cars that were nicer.  Second, I think people should
make their own decisions about which car should win and that no one
should be pushing a "party line," as it was put (who's line?  SDAOG's?
of which I am not a member).  It's just not fair to people who put tons
of work, not to mention $, into their cars to show only to have the
voting fixed.  Frankly, I was disgusted at what I observed.  Such to
the point that I will probably never attend that event again with my
car.  The members of SDAOG should be embarrassed.

I can only speculate why this happened.  Apparently it's done nearly
every year.  I can only wonder.  Though it was pointed out to me that
Smitty did do a significant amount of work on the car that won.  But it
leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I am sorry, I just had to vent my
spleen.  Let me apologize in advance if I offend anyone.

CNA