Re: [6pack] UPDATE: Lighting issue - I found out what it is not

To: Bill Wellbaum <wcwellbaum@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] UPDATE: Lighting issue - I found out what it is not
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:34:01 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, Bill Wellbaum wrote:

> On a separate but related issue--a fellow TR-6 owner commented that my TR-6
> headlights had a yellowish look--not a bright, clear white appearance.  His
> suggestion was that I might have a bad ground causing reduced lighting and
> the yellowish appearance.  Two things come to mind:
> 1.  Old or original lucas headlights which need replacing, or,
> 2.  A bad ground somewhere. Where would I start looking?

ALTERNATOR

Make sure what level of output you have from the alt.

I had yellowish lights. By an odd set of circumstances, my original Lucas
headlamps needed to be changed out. Frankly, I've forgotten exactly why,
but one either burned out at 130k miles or it got broken, but the bottom
line was that a 30+ year old headlight with LOTs of use was dead.

I went to Halogen because I couldn't find any tungsten bulbs at * Zone
Auto Stuff... the result was better light, but not perfect.

I then zeroed in on the charging system. Turns out that Lucas ACR 35 (my
car is a '74) was only putting out 12.8 volts, plus or minus. I had the
unit rebuilt. Didn't natter. Pulled out the Lucas and installed a modern
alternator (I used Delco Remy, Auto ZOne part number 7127 (I think - it's
a 66 amp GM alternator for an 84 Chevy G10 with the F code 305... mostly
because that was my tow vehicle at the time). It was almost a bolt in, I
had to fab a bracket and then re-profile the pivot point on the case.

The result - 13.8 volts even with everything turned on and WHITE
hedalights. The difference was amazing!

So, check your grounds and all that stuff, but look at the output from
your charging system. If you have wimpy output, it doesn't matter what
else you do to address the "problem". Then replace the old tungsten bulbs
with Halogen... nice difference!

c ya,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2009       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489