Re: [6pack] Foreboding brake fluid leak -servo rebuild needed?

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Foreboding brake fluid leak -servo rebuild needed?
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:53:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Navarrette, Vance wrote:

>       Robert:
>
>       At the risk of sounding smug (OK, I am feeling smug) I have to ask:
>
>       1. Is this DOT 4 fluid we are talking about in terms of popping
> leaks over the winter?

Yes, it was DOT4. Castrol LMA.

The car also sat for over 6 years. So any problems with the hydraulics
were completely expected.

I won't use DOT5 on any of my cars. I need dry boiling temps well in
excess of whatever all the DOT5 cans I've read. My car isn't a tank,
either. :-)

I'd use the fancy synthetic stuff, but I'd have to buy tires too... the
castrol synth stuff is $65 a quart. I use a couple of quarts every year.
That works out to .5 of a tire. That's a big hit in the "budget".

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489