Re: [6pack] [Fot] Harmonic Dampener Question (now studs)

To: Mike Munson <fasttrs@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] [Fot] Harmonic Dampener Question (now studs)
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:25:42 -0700
        Mike, et. al.:

        An inexpensive alternative to ARP is to use grade 10 fasteners from the
hardware store. These are the black oxide finish cap screws, most commonly
with a hex socket head.
        I used these when rebuilding my mini - they are much less than the ARP
stuff,
as tough as can be, and available in 1/4" increments. The mini runs 11:1CR and
spins up to 7,000 RPM using a stock cast crank. The bottom end is all grade
10, as are the head studs. I wish I would have thought of this when I rebuilt
the TR6. Using this kind of hardware gives great piece of mind for only a few
pennies more than grade 8.
        There is no doubt that ARP is the best, but they also charge a premium
price.
An alternative is grade 10 if you are looking for something stronger than
plain vanilla grade 8 at a reasonable price.

        Cheers,

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom