Re: [6pack] Foreboding brake fluid leak -servo rebuild needed?

To: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Foreboding brake fluid leak -servo rebuild needed?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:19:19 -0700
        Robert:

        At the risk of sounding smug (OK, I am feeling smug) I have to ask:

        1. Is this DOT 4 fluid we are talking about in terms of popping leaks
over
the winter?
        2. How many people have had this happen with DOT 5?

        One of the supposed advantages of DOT 5 is fewer problems for vehicles
that
sit idle for long periods of time. Apparently the Army likes DOT5 because so
much of their inventory sits idle when we are not at war. Probably not the
case for Humvees in Iraq and Afghanistan at the moment =:-o But trucks,
Bradleys, etc all are inventoried and idle for long periods of time so lower
maintenance is good.
        One obvious advantage to DOT 5 is that it is not soaking up moisture all
winter, and does not corrode things after a year or two. Dunno how it performs
in terms of preserving seals.

        Guess which fluid I am using (tee-hee).

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Mimosa TR6 with no brake fluid leaks this spring.