Re: [6pack] reinstalling TR6 engine and transmission

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] reinstalling TR6 engine and transmission
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 23:22:06 +0000
[ Resending with edits to avoid the autox mailer limitations]

Doug, that looks like the same one that Bob D and I have. You just need a long
breaker bar to operate it and there is a bit of a technique required
especially when it is under load. The device has a locking mechanism that you
need to unlock, then  rotate the load and then re-lock but it does not
ratchet. This means once you unlock it you have to support the load via the
lever until you complete your adjustment and then re-lock. So you need to be
well braced and you need to position the lever so that you are comfortable
with the initial load and the load at the target rotation (ie don't start off
off-balance and fully extended  or you will lose it and the load will nose
dive into something you care about !). The cool thing is that you have very
fine control and it makes this project a piece of cake. I did the removal
single handed one evening but appreciated having a helper to assist with
re-installation. As Bob said the critical thing to watch is the bulkhead as
that is where you have the least clearance and I found that with the cross
tube and steering rack out there was just enough room to ease the combined
unit back into place and I don't think we touched anything on the way in.

I bought a pair of shackles from Home Depot to attach the sling to the lifting
eyes and you need to protect the valve cover with something substantial
otherwise the sling will damage it at some point in the process.

Installing a tranny from the inside of the car especially with OD on the end
is no picnic. This thing weighs 100lbs with OD and if you are removing the
engine I don't see any point in torturing yourself trying to take the engine
and gearbox out individually and even less point in installing them
individually.

Stan