RE: [6pack] cam opinions

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: RE: [6pack] cam opinions
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:14:59 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

There are some cams out there that are close to what Vance describes as
optimal. I got a re-grind from a cam grinder in FL that is almost exactly
what is referred to, e.g. an asymetrical 270--ish cam with about .400
gross lift. It's "real nice" in the power band where you drive and once I
got the carb jetting sorted out, pull all the way to 5800 real nice.

But you might want to look into Integral cams. There are a couple others.
They do modern cams with new blanks.

Regarding re-grind vs new - if you have suitable cam cores, then go for a
re-grind. Otherwise, you don't have much choice.

Of the cams you listed, I'd pick the Z19 because it has a litte more lift
than the GP2. Otherwise (and if you have more than a tiny budget), get the
GP2 and 1.65:1 rockers. It's not a killer cam, but you have to keep in
mind that killer cams come with LOUSY idle and poor performance till the
cam "come on", then they go like stink. NOT good for the street. If you
want vintage, the BP270 or the S2. The S2 is def. more vintage as it's a
Kaster grind spec. That might have value to some of us.

But keep your expectations in check, With the mods that you suggest,
you're not going to make 175 HP. Especially under 10:1.

rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489