Re: [6pack] cam opinions

To: jimjcmo@yahoo.com (Jim Jones)
Subject: Re: [6pack] cam opinions
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:14:59 -0800
Jim---The cams you have listed as options will give their best
performances from mid range to redline and beyond. If you want low to
mid range performance, stay with the late TR6 cam with the 256 duration
and 18/56 56/18 overlap.

With the addtional CR you have, I'd probably give up a little of the
bottom end torque of the 258 and opt for something around the 270.

Precise fuel delivery will permit a more aggressive cam without too much
sacrifice at the bottom. Note that the PI system used with some early
TRs had the S2 and responded well thruout the rpm range.

Dick

From:
jimjcmo@yahoo.com(Jim Jones)

I realize I'm opening a can of worms here, but I hope the discussions
will be fairly civil. I'm having my head re-done (unleaded conversion,
new guides, etc.) and will mill it to yield a 9.5:1 compression ratio.
It will also be opened up a bit to improve flow. I already have headers
and a 2 1/4" single pipe extractor exhaust and K&N filters, so air flow
ought to be pretty good after the head work it done.
    My question is what cams would be preferred for a mild
upgrade with emphasis getting more power and torque at low and mid range
RPMs? I'm considering these cams:
    S2 cam
  TSI 275 cam
    BP Northwest TH5, BP270, or BP 150 HP cams Goodparts GP2 cam
    Also, is there a reason NOT to use re-ground cams? I don't
plan to play boy racer in autocrosses.
    Let the emails begin....
    Jim