[6pack] Oil Filter Canister leak

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Oil Filter Canister leak
From: "jhaeg" <haeg1@mninter.net>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 10:22:51 -0600
- My TR6 recently started leaking oil (more than normal).  I had oil drips
every 2 feet on the driveway as I pulled into the garage, and a small pool of
oil would appear if I just idle the engine.  Not good.

- It seemed to be coming from the oil filter area. I assumed that I had a leak
between the canister and the engine block.  I proceeded to do my spring oil
change with filter, and I made sure I removed and replaced the rubber ring,
and got the canister fitted properly and tight.  I still had the leak.

- With the engine running, I checked things out a little closer with a light
and a mirror.  It is leaking from the oil filter canister, but not where it
mates to the engine block.  It is either coming from a pin hole on the side of
the canister (this seems unlikely), or it is weeping from around the bolt
head.

A few questions:
1) Is there supposed to be a fiber washer or something similar to prevent oil
leakage from around the bolt head? If yes, is this on the inside or outside of
the canister?
2) I'm not positive the oil filter is installed correctly. Maybe it is in
backwards, and this is creating excessive oil pressure inside the canister. I
believe the Bentley manual shows the slightly enclosed end of the filter going
toward the engine block, so that is how I installed the filter.

Any help with this problem is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John H. in Minneapolis