Re: [6pack] glove box lock

To: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Subject: Re: [6pack] glove box lock
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 17:10:53 -0700
Michael---Part of the answer as to why Triumph did away with the finger
pull on the glovebox door has to do with the USA safety issues. All
protrusions have been eliminated or softened over the years.

I know it's tempting to add something different to avoid an irritation
on these cars. It reminds me of something that happened at my home some
years ago: The wife came home from several hours of shopping and asked
"what had I been doing"?  I proudly told her I adjusted the glovebox
door so all of the corners were flush with the rest of the wood dash,
and the door even pops open now! She shook her head, knowingly.
So, the spring/plunger for the glovebox door light may need "adjusting",
to overcome the resistance of whatever's causing the door to now not pop
open. It can be done! Send your mate on a shopping trip!?

Dick

Sender: owner-6pack@Autox.Team.Net From: SamuelsMA@aol.com Date: Fri,
May 11, 2007,

All of this talk about dashboards made me think of a minor irritation
with mine. I have a '76 with a glove box door that has a lock but no
finger pull. The door tends to stick closed, and the spring in the lock
mechanism isn't strong enough to pop it open most of the time. That
means that I have to put my key in the lock cylinder to open the door.

... I wonder why Triumph eliminated this feature on later cars? In any
case, can I retrofit an older style lock with a finger pull to my new
car's glove box door?
Thanks.
Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue