RE: [6pack] Seat belt replacement

To: <samuelsma@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Seat belt replacement
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:15:48 -0700
        Michael:

        At a minimum, you should overhaul your existing belt retractors.
One of mine was rusted solid, and would not have locked the belt in the
event of a crash. Yikes!
        If the webbing is tatty, or sun faded, replace it. If you
CAREFULLY disassemble the belt you can take the webbing to an auto
upholstery shop and they will reweb the belt for a few dollars. I could
not find a shop that would actually disassemble the belts for me, as
they were all worried about being sued if anything went wrong.
        Trust me, the belts are not rocket science. The only caveat is
that if you are not careful, the retracting spring can pop loose. It can
be rewound without any special tools, but it is a somewhat tedious
process. A bit of patience is the only thing you need to get it back
together.
        I also repainted mine in hammered silver. They look brand new.

        Vance