[6pack] Seat belt replacement

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Seat belt replacement
From: samuelsma@aol.com
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 13:21:55 -0400
Listers:

I ordered a set of replacement belts from TRF during a recent sale.  I ordered
them because my belts are original to the car, and my driver's seat retractor
was "catching," making it impossible for me to pull out the belt enough to get
it around me and buckle up.  The item is on backorder, so my new belts have not
yet arrived.  I removed the plastic cover on the offending retractor,
lubricated the plastic lever that was catching prematurely, and everything
works great now.  The actual insides of the retractor looked clean and new, to
my surprise.  The belts are a little "fuzzy" around the edges, but seem to be
in good condition.

Questions:

1.  Is it mandatory to replace original belts, regardless of apparent
condition?  I AM interested in safety, or I wouldn't be asking.

2.  Do the new belts just bolt in, or is there anything more complicated about
installation?  Is it necessary to get behind any of the mounting points to
remove/replace a nut, or do the bolts just screw into threaded captive nuts on
the body?

Thanks.

Michael
'76 Tahiti blue