[6pack] Zero Voltage Mystery

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [6pack] Zero Voltage Mystery
From: Bill & AnnaBelle <anabil007@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 18:30:14 -0700
        It just so happens that if your alternator belt is slipping,
then you are running on battery power, if you happen upon a "Daylight
Safety Zone" (Headlights Required), your battery will be rapidly
drained.  At Zero Voltage the car  (1957 TR3) will stop ... a little
stumble followed by a large BANG!! And fire out the tailpipe ... no
need to ask how  i know this ... with a little help  from friends, we
got a minimum charge in the battery, tightened the alternator belt,
push started and away we went, on to finish the Alpine 500 ...
        However ... and you knew this  was coming ... the  engine/car
"vibrated" up to about 2000 RPM.  at which  time it smoothed out and
ran normally.  Now the only "electronics" is the Pertronics "no
points" system.
        Finally the question ... could Zero Volts cause the
Pertronics to fail?  The coil?, the valve train looks OK ... and the
car ran great above 2000 RPM.
        Any ideas greatly appreciated ...
--
Bill  Pugh