RE: [6pack] Zero Voltage Mystery

To: "Bill & AnnaBelle" <anabil007@comcast.net>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Zero Voltage Mystery
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:01:29 -0700
        Bill:

        I happen to know that running an alternator (dunno about the TR3
generator) without the battery connected will fry the alternator. Not
that I have ever been so foolish as to actually do this, of course.
<ahem> I also know that my local auto parts store happens to have
rebuilt Lucas alternators for a song. Once again, not that I have ever
needed to replace one that died due to stupidly being run with no
battery connected. The core charge was only one dollar, too. So I have
been told by someone who actually learned this from experience, but
shall remain nameless to avoid embarrassment. <cough>
        So running the car with a dead battery may well cause
aberrations with anything solid state. I would try a set of points to
see if it clear it up.

        Vance