Re: Front suspension issues

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front suspension issues
From: Cregg Cowan <cregg.cowan@sri.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:57:25 -0800
Hi Steve,

I am in the process of attacking a similar-sounding problem on my TR6 ---
my left side wheel arches are about 3/4 inch lower than right side, despite
changing springs and bushings and having the frame checked.  I believe my
problem has two sources.  One: the frame is slightly lower on the left side
(clearly suspension related). Two: the body tub is a little lower on the
frame on the left side (1/16 to 1/8 inch).  I am concentrating on getting
the frame to sit level first.

I have recently discovered that the left ball joint has a different taper
than the right ball joint.  I found this by measuring the distance between
the centers of the lower "pivot" bolt (the horizontal bolt through the
trunion) and the outer bolt for the ball joint.  The left side was about
0.25 inch longer than the right side.  I've heard conflicting opinions
about how much difference this makes in the suspension, but I have ordered
two ball joints so as to eliminate this difference.  I hope to finish the
installation sometime this week and will let you know how things sit :-)

I would also be very interested in any observations you've made on this problem

Regards,
Cregg Cowan
71 TR6