RE: J-Type OD conversion pump cam clips

To: <adsl709847@tiscali.nl>, <m_girardin@sympatico.ca>
Subject: RE: J-Type OD conversion pump cam clips
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:06:06 -0800
        Marc and Marc:

        When I added my J-Type, my preferred supplier (Moss)
did not carry the circlip. I used a standard external circlip from
the hardware store - I don't remember what size although I do
remember that it was English and not metric. I measured the
diameter of the shaft, and bought 4 or 5 starting with that
measurement and going down one increment in size for each clip.
When I got  home I tried each one until I got one that
seemed to be a decent fit. Like the pump cam, the circlip
"floats" a bit in the groove once it is installed.
        You could get a non-floating fit if you used an e-clip
rather than a circlip. I felt better about a circlip as I
knew once I got it on, it would never come off without a
pair of circlip pliers. But an e-clip could be fitted such that
it did not float.
        FYI, the circlip is fitted by spreading it, and then sliding it
down over the shaft. An e-clip is fitted from the side of the shaft
and grips the bottom of the retaining grove. I suspect either one
would work fine, but I used a circlip.

        Cheers,

        Vance